Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

2 year old Great Dane (male)- raised patches of fir (look

Customer Question

2 year old Great Dane (male)- raised patches of fir (look like when he gets midge bites in the summer but now all over and it's winter), he is vomiting and off his food for 2 days. Looks unhappy but not in pain. Any ideas? He travels really badly which is the only reason we have not taken him to vet. Lives with a cat and French bull dog both of which are fine.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I have spotted. On dry dog food same food as past year. We have spotted a few rats about outside.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Griff
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Griff?
Customer: No always very healthy- he is friendly, a wuss (as all Great Danes) lives in the house, fully vaccinated
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He lives on a small holding (small farm) with our family (2 small children, 20 sheep, chickens).
Almost never leaves but other dogs visit quite frequently and Ystlum (the bulldog travels more often)
I am a GP (family doctor) so have access to medication but no vet training.
I wondered after looking at google pictures if the rash might be urticarial
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. It sounds like he may be having an allergic reaction to something. The raised patches of fur sound like hives. It could be anything he ate, an insect bite/sting or even something growing/pollinating. I cannot rule out that there isn't something else going on internally, but if I was to treat for something initially without doing any testing, it would be for an allergic reaction. Benadryl is usually safe for dogs at 1 mg per lb of body weight (max of 100 mg) every 8-12 hours. The exception would be certain heart, lung, eye and prostate problems. That is always worth a try first. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Griff is doing and to see if you have any further questions.