Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Drinking a lot of water, not eating much and making

Customer Question

Drinking a lot of water, not eating much and making gargeling sounds
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Shadow 9 years old
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Shadow?
Customer: Not sure checking with my roommate. He has lost some weight
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) How long has your room mate owned Shadow?
2) What breed?
3) Has blood work been performed recently?
4) The gargling sounds, are they coming from his abdomen?
5) Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Owned since he was 8 weeks old.Doberman pincher. Last blood work about a year ago. He is throwing up some of the water when he drinks too much gergalind sounds from mouth. No disrespect. Does have some fatty tumors on his belly area had one tested a couple of years ago non cancer
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That is about all I have please send me information when you can. Thank you text or email

I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better, but I feel it would be wise to have some diagnostics performed to determine the cause of the high volume of water consumption and vomiting. The vet will likely want to run some blood work to check for underlying causes that might cause high water consumption like diabetes or kidney disease, x-rays to rule out the risk of a GI blockage, etc.

It often helps to give something to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, avoid or treat changes in the stool, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion today?