Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He has been having EXTREMELY bad gas for the last week or

Customer Question

He has been having EXTREMELY bad gas for the last week or so. We have not changed his diet at all. He has always gotten Hill's science diet since we got him. We still have the same type of treats, so they haven't changed. We maybe give him less treats overall. He goes out 3-4 times a day, and I try and take him to the dog park at least once a week. We never had problems with this before, but now its an issue. And his poop was always solid before but now will get mushy most of the time
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: I thought he was getting back to normal, since his poop was a little harder like normal the last day or 2, but today it was very soft again his name is ***** ***** will be 3 in january He is a pit mix, but mostly pit
JA: How old is chance?
Customer: almost 3
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about chance?
Customer: not that I can think of
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I am sorry to hear that Chance is suffering from such bad gas.

Even without a diet change (or diet recipe change from the company), we can see this arise when dogs have low grade GI upset or an imbalance in their gut's natural good bacteria. And both could be causing the change in his stools as well.

With this all in mind, we will want to take some steps to counter this for Chance. To start, to firm his stools, you can add fiber (ie canned or boiled pumpkin) to his diet. Furthermore, to tackle this gas itself, we'd want to add activated charcoal (ie OTC pet BCK granules or activated charcoal from the pharmacy) to his food. We only need to use a small dose (100-250mg) and this will just bind the gas itself and reduce the odor. Alternatively, there are also a range of palatable charcoal based biscuits on the market that you can check your pet store and amazon for. Or there are also holistic preparations on the market that might be helpful too.

Finally, since these signs are often related to a GI bacterial disturbance, we can address that with an OTC canine probiotic (ie Purina Fortiflora, Bene-bac). And that often gets to the root of the situation and reduces these signs for them.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.