Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 5 month old Great Pyrenees chewed up and swallowed an

Customer Question

My 5 month old Great Pyrenees chewed up and swallowed an entire Nylabone while I was at work one day. I come home to a very small nub left. I was thinking it was the edible one so I didn't panic too much. Later that night she threw up little chunks of the Nylabone. She is eating, drinking and going to the bathroom completely normal. She threw up a little bile on Saturday. No throw up since. She has been a little more mellow but I think that is due to dog park visits. Help!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Any staining to pass stool?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When I looked last night her gums were normal. I've been rubbing her belly and she doesn't appear to bother her. She even rolls over to allow me to.No straining.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

Now Nylabones are digestible but it can take time for the stomach to do so especially if there is a lot of it present. That said, we do always have to be careful when they have eaten so much in a short space of time since even digestible items can cause blockages. Though we'd hope that was less likely here with how mild her signs are at this stage.

Now we'd want to start supportive care to help keep her settled and get this all passed. To start, if you see any more signs of nausea, then we can consider treating her with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be: Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

From there, we will want to feed small meals of a light diet. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Whichever you choose to offer, you can add some fiber (ie a spoonful of tinned pumpkin or all bran) to the food to bulk up her stool and push these bits through the intestines. As well, you can also add a dose of a GI lubricant (ie cat hairball medication Miralax, lactulose or food grade mineral oil). These can be beneficial for getting this slipping through the gut. Though do be aware that when using the lubricants, we can see self limiting runny stools, but that tends to settle once we are finished using it.

While doing this, we do need to keep a close eye on her . Red flags of trouble or obstruction include restlessness, lethargy, vomiting with blood or coffee ground type material, inability to keep any food or water down, anorexia, pale gums, straining to pass feces or passage of black feces (digested blood). If you see these signs (or the straining continues even after we start helping her ), then having her seen would be best for her vet to have a feel of her belly +/- an xray to see where everything is and whether it will pass on its own.

Overall, situations like these always require us to be on our toes and tread with care. Its positive that her signs have been very mild, but we would want to start the above steps for her while keeping a close eye. If you see any of those other signs, then having her examined +/- xrayed would be ideal so you can appreciate whether there is any risk. Otherwise we'd hope to use the above to settle her stomach and push any bits of the bone through her gut and out the other end.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is there a time period when it's considered "in the clear"?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

Usually ~48 hours for passing this and ~5 days for digestion, but it does depend on how quickly the bits can leave the stomach.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.