Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

We have a mixed breed of dog. maybe sharpee and hound. He

Customer Question

We have a mixed breed of dog. maybe sharpee and hound. He has been occasionally limping on his hind leg when walking but does not when he is runnig. I have given him aspirin a couple of times in the past few months but it seems to be getting worse. he is 120 pounds at last visit and seems to drink ok but has slacked of on his easing some in the last week. We occasionally see him urinate but no visualization of bowel movements. We live in a rural area and he can go outside by himself. He does not like loud noises. When we vaccume and load dishes in the dish washer he hides in our bedroom. Today he has been pacing and walking into one room and another sometimes whining and sometimes barking. I gave him as aspirin earlier. I donot know what else to do. He will not let us sleep.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the hound. What is the hound's name?
Customer: Farook. He is normally a very mild natured dog, very sweet and not very active. My husband picked him up as a stray. He normally never barks unless he needs to go outside. I think he normally has good communication with us. We can usually figure out what he wants but not right now.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Farook?
Customer: i really have no idea how old he is.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

How old is Farook?

How long has he had these lameness signs?

Does he seem stiff when he first gets up or is first exercising?

Any appetite loss, belly pain, straining to pass stool, or nausea (ie drooling, grass eating, retching, etc)?

What dose of Aspirin did you give?