Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My dog some times pees blood.. Sometimes oure blood.. Been

Customer Question

My dog some times pees blood.. Sometimes oure blood.. Been to vet been on two rounds of antibiotics .. All test indicated uti.. Nothing else
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Olivia a pug.. 6 years old and she is fixed
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Olivia?
Customer: She is not over weight and hasn't been acting unusal like drinking lots of water eating normal.. Playing
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 month ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Did your vet do a culture before prescribing the antibiotics?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
they did and blood work 2times.

If a culture was done then the antibiotic should have been chosen which was known to work with the bacteria present. That does make me wonder if your dog has Cystitis if test now show the infection is cleared. Cystitis is when your dog's bladder becomes inflamed. It is believed that infections, polyps, tumors and stones contribute to this condition, but the actual cause is unclear. Typical symptoms are straining to urinate, frequent urination, straining to urinate, difficulty urinating and blood in the urine.

So your next step is to ensure the bacteria has been taken care of by the antibiotics. If it has, then you should consider imaging to rule out other causes of blood in the urine such as polyps, growths and stones. Read more on cystitis and treatment here:

http://www.thedrakecenter.com/materials/cystitis-dogs

If the bacteria has not been cleared, your dog may require a different antibiotic and for a longer period of time.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Hi Fixed.. No Prior Problems.. Feed Blue Buffalo,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 23 days ago.

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. Let me know if my answer was helpful.