Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My little guy just hit his head on my front wall/window. he

Customer Question

my little guy just hit his head on my front wall/window. he was running at a pretty good clip excited after his bath. he is a bit subdued now and I'm a bit worried.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did he hit his head?

Any tender or sore areas?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He just hit his head on our glass front wall/window. About 15 min ago.
His pupils dilate when I put light on them and he can follow my finger with his eyes. He seems very sleepy but that can be cause he just ran around the house at full speed and excited after a bath.
I am petting his head so it doesn't appear to be sore but he hit hard on that window.
looks like 7 breaths in 10 sec. so 42
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He's very subdued right now.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

Do you mean his pupils constrict (get smaller) when you shine a light?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sorry. they get smaller
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

That is fine, I just wanted to make sure that we weren't seeing any odd issues in the wake of this head trauma.

Now his being subdued isn't unexpected and I'd note that his breathing rate is a bit above normal (20-30 bpm) which suggests he is a bit sore from that bump. Though it is good that his rate isn't down as that would raise worries of brain swelling. And hopefully his gums are pink as they should be. If they are, then we can monitor at this stage. We'd want to let him settle, but not sleep for the next few hours. If he has given himself a good whack, you can gently cool compress the area of impact to reduce swelling or any bruising. As long as he is stable or starts to perk up, we are happy. Though any decline in his breathing rate or if he becomes dull, then we'd want him checked for concussion so his vet can start anti-inflammatories for that.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks. I'll keep an eye on him. Keeping him awake for the next few hrs. may be a challenge. If he does sleep, is that bad?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome,

That sounds like a fine plan. It isn't bad for him to sleep, its just we don't want brain swelling leading to reduced consciousness that he cannot be roused (it can look like they are falling asleep is all). So, we want to rouse him if he does appear to get sleepy over the next few hours but after that we can let him do so.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.