Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog 13 years old have a heart failure and his creatinine

Customer Question

my dog 13 years old have a heart failure and his creatinine is 3.8 he just release yesterday from the hospital with pimobendan , he doesn't wants breakfast , what can I do to increase his appetite
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Rambo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rambo?
Customer: this was the diagnosis : chronic kidney desease, degenerative mitral valve disease, history of congestive heart failure
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Was his urea also elevated on his bloods?

Any gagging, drooling, or vomiting?

Any breathing difficulties?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No he is breathing normal no vomiting drinking normal just wants to improve his appetite he is on pimobendan 0.5 ml twice a day
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

Do you mean his urea was normal and he is breathing normally (the lack of commas is making your answer unclear)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't know how much was the urea he just release yesterday from the hospital and my question was what can I do to improve his appetite I did sent you the diagnosis
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

Fair enough, I just wanted to check with you since you only noted creatinine being elevated (which can be due to dehydration and the urea would have to be up to for kidney issues to be present). In any case, further to ensuring the diagnosis is correct, in regards ***** ***** question if his appetite needs to be improved then you'd want to speak to his vet about anti-nausea/vomiting treatment since nausea from kidney issues often cases these types of situations. In regards ***** ***** options, Famotidine/Pepcid, Omeprazole/Prilosec or Ranitidine/Zantac can be used Further to this, if she needed something stronger, then your vet can dispense oral Metoclopramide, Cerenia or Ondansetron tp treat . And they can also start an appetite stimulants (ie Mirtazapine) to get Rambo eating properly for you.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is taking cerenia 1/2 pill every 24 hours
Maybe the only need the stimulants so he can eat properly
Today I prepare fresh food at home
Rice
Acorn squash
Parley
Egg whites
Lean ground beef
Just tell me if this combination is ok for Rambo to eat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

That combination is fine and if he is on Cerenia then an appetite stimulant would be the next step.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Any vitamins can I add in his home cooked food and the dosis
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

You could add a vitamin supplement like Vet's Best or Vetriscience's multi-vitamin for dogs to balance his diet. Dose-wise, its a case of checking the label for the brand you use as it can vary.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome.

Have a lovely weekend,

Dr. B.