Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is a 16 year old,52 pound sheppard chow mix. my vet

Customer Question

My dog is a 16 year old,52 pound sheppard chow mix . my vet is coming to put him down tomorrow, and i have run out of his pain meds, and its sunday. I had to give him extra yesterday because he was hurting, what can I give him to help him until tomorrow?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Yoda
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Yoda?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Yoda. You're necessarily constrained to dosing him with aspirin at 10 mg/lb with food twice daily, acetaminophen dosed at 7 mg/lb thrice daily, or a human narcotic you might have at home. Please let me know if that's the case and I'll see if I can give you a dose for Yoda. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?