Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

Dog just threw up mushy stuff (not his food) and there are

Customer Question

Dog just threw up mushy brown stuff (not his food) and there are tiny whitish things in it (not moving, but have obviously been in digestive acids). As close as I can see, the only distinguishing feature of the all-time things is that the have vertical stripes, not horizontal. No odor to the vomit. No visible blood. And, I haven't seen works in his stools. Still, this is worrisome.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Be is an 'uncle's dog, although I take him outside several times a day, simply because he likes it. But, never alone. However, last week we visited a cabin in the woods and he had a couple of fleas after our first day there.. I mean a couple. So I bathed him and haven't seen anymore. But, obviously, wondering about possibility that is somehow involved. He isn't into the garbage and not out of my sight more than moments when we're outside. Does it sound like worms?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I will do my best to help you. I am reviewing your question now and I will post back to you ASAP.

Let's see if we can figure this out.

First: what is his name and breed.

Does he eat dry dog food?

Can you send a photo of the "things" you saw

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yorkiepoo. Primarily, chicken breast but I keep a bowl of dry food available and he munched on it occasionally.

Did he have any dry food tonight? How long ago (Hours)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry, as large as I can get them with any resolution. They have vertical stripes, running length. Maybe, black tip...starting to dry out.

I am having a lot of trouble on this site. It keeps locking up on me. So I am going to opt out so that another expert can work with you.

In the meantime google "flour worm" and "insect pests of stored foods".

See if any of these are what you are seeing.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He ate little bit of dry yesterday afternoon, chicken last night. Haven't seen him eat today.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. I see the other expert was having trouble with the site. The picture looks like tape worm segments. Usually these can be seen around the anus as well. Tapeworm breaks off to look like small grains of rice which looks similar to your picture.

Because he visited a cabin in the woods it is possible he picked up a parasite from there.

I would drop off a stool sample to your Vet for testing and if you have what you took a picture of you can also show that to the vet.

Picture of tapeworm: You can see in the picture how the worm is long but them breaks off into smaller segments resembling a grain of rice which is what you might find in stool or vomit .

http://www.allaboutworms.com/tapeworm-in-dogs-and-humans

tapeworm infections

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/infectious-parasitic/c_multi_cestodiasis

Here is more on intestinal parasites. https://www.vetinfo.com/whats-happening-if-your-dog-vomited-worms.html