Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

He got groomed and now all he does is sleep looks like his

Customer Question

he got groomed and now all he does is sleep looks like his feet and nails are a little short he does lick them
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Raymond just turned 12 he is a very active shitzu
JA: How old is Raymond?
Customer: 12
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Raymond?
Customer: nothing
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 month ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

How long ago was he groomed?

Did he lick his feet and nails before being groomed?

Is he scratching more?

Are you saying they cut close on the feet and the nails short?

Do you know if your dog had any bleeding when the nails were cut?

Hi Again. I don't want you to have to wait too long for an answer, so I'll go ahead and give you my thoughts even though you haven't yet responded to my request for more information.

If this biting and licking of the paws just started after grooming, then it is possible that your dog may have gotten razor burns on the paws or had the nails cut too short. You might not see if the quick had been nicked as the groomer would likely have used something to stop the bleeding. It might still be uncomfortable for your boy and thus he is licking the area and doesn't want to walk as a result. If there is no bleeding then perhaps buffered aspirin might help relieve discomfort. Buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5-10 mg per pound every 12 hours for pain.. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. The aspirin may need to clear your dog’s system before other medications can be given, so keep that in mind if you decide to give aspirin and be sure and tell your vet when your dog is seen. Read side effects and precautions below. If your dog has health issue or is on other medications, consult with your vet before giving aspirin.

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin/page1.aspx

In addition, it is possible that your groomer used a product that your dog is allergic to which has caused some itchiness of the paws. If that is the case benadryl can be given at a dosage of 1mg-2mg per pound every 8 hours.

If you do not see improvement in a day or two, I would have him seen by your vet. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.