Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is vomiting bile like substance (yellow). Can I give

Customer Question

My dog is vomiting bile like substance (yellow). Can I give phenergan for the vomiting?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: My son gave her some hot dog last night
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Daisy, she's a Lhasa apso and she's 4 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Daisy?
Customer: No she weighs 18 pounds
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now hopefully the fattiness of the hot dog is causing a bit of stomach upset. So, as long as you are sure she hasn't eaten anything harmful, she has no belly discomfort, or paling gums; then you can try to soothe her stomach with the Phenergan. If we do so, an 18lb dog can have, 36-75mg every 24 hours. Afterwards, you can plan to offer small meals of an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. And as long as she does so, we are happy. Though if her signs persist, then we'd want a check up with Daisy's vet to make sure there are no gut infections, pancreatitis, or other issues we'd need to address. As well, if she is seen, then can start injectable anti-nausea treatment +/- symptomatic care to nip this in the bud for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )