Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

He has been vomiting a little but now he has this diarrhea

Customer Question

He has been vomiting a little but now he has this diarrhea and I saw spots of blood around the poop on the floor
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: I think a piece of cheese that had accidentally fallen on the floor.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Teddy born May 2008 So I think that makes him 56
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Teddy?
Customer: No
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) When did the vomiting and diarrhea begin?
2) Any change in his food? Human food aside from the cheese? new treats?
3) Any history of illness?
4) Is he on any medication currently?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
2 days ago
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I started him on a new treat,a cookie two days ago..that I thought he tried months previously
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No history of illness
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He is currently on no medication
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Anymore questions for me

The new treat could certainly be the cause.

I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. It often helps to give something to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, avoid or treat changes in the stool, etc. If you do not see a marked improvement from your pet by morning or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian. The presence of blood is quite concerning. Your vet will certainly want to use injectable medications if the vomiting persists and may recommend blood work to rule out diagnoses like pancreatitis. A fecal exam to ensure no intestinal parasites would be useful, as well.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

Until a complete resolution of symptoms is had, he needs to receive no additional treats or human food.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion feeling?