Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

She is a 10 pounder bichon mix and she drank 5 oz of cafe

Customer Question

She is a 10 pounder bichon mix and she drank 5 oz of cafe mocha
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: She has been hyper 3 hours now. all she do is run around
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: shes not hurt
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Pucci
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pucci?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

The good news here is that although coffee, chocolate and sugar can all be dangerous to dogs, you generally see signs of a problem (such as panting, anorexia, vomiting or seizures) within an hour or so after ingesting it. Since Pucci drank it at least 3 hours ago, I'm not worried about the toxicity of the ingestion.

The hyperactivity should wear off in the next hour or so, and you can help speed that along by offering her a meal of bland food....boiled white rice and/boiled hamburger or chicken or even some plain white bread can hell give her some carbohydrates that will help trigger her urge to nap, which will help with the hyperactivity.

And of course, it goes without saying that if you see any of the signs I mentioned, then you should have her seen by an emergency vet in your area, but I don't expect there to be a problem.

I hope this helps.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Lisa