Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 139lb Rottweiler ate a small amount of rat poison. The

Customer Question

My 139lb Rottweiler ate a small amount of rat poison. The vet had me induce vomiting with peroxide. He then gave me a bottle of vitamin k1. I've given him 3 tablets. It's been about after about twelve hours he started vomiting and gaving excessive thirst. Now he's vomiting green mucus and I just saw some blood. What should I do?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago was the rat bait ingestion?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Can Axel keep any of the water down?

How much blood did you see? Just a wee bit or lots?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

I have not heard back but want to let you know my thoughts about Axel's situation.

Now we have to tread with care whenever we have a rat bait ingestion. We’d hope that Axel’s risk is low because he had that small amount, you induced vomiting (hopefully in the first 30 minutes post ingestion), and you have him on Vitamin K. Of course, we still need to keep a close eye on those gums (paling being a sign of a severe internal bleed) but with what you are seeing now, we need to address that too.

Just to note, if it was a small amount of blood that he brought up then it isnt’ likely directly related to the rat bait and instead is a sign that the throat is being irritated/eroded by the vomit. Of course, we need to keep an eye that he doesnt' pass more than a small amount and that doesn’t continue since we have that risk of clotting compromise here. Though for the moment, we need to focus on countering that nausea. To try to do so at home, you can give him OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once he is more settled, you can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only). And if his vet is concerned about any risk of stomach ulcers, then gastroprotectants could be started as well.

Overall, the vomiting isn’t usually a feature of the anti-coagulant based rat poisons. So, this is likely a side issue but one we do need to address for him. Therefore,we’d want to take the above approach to soothe his stomach if it was just a small volume you saw. But if it was more than a spoonful, if this continues or we see paling of the gums, then we’d want to have him seen again urgently for further anti-nausea treatment and even clotting aid (ie a platelet rich plasma transfusion).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )