Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

I have no money is that ok? A new born puppy 5 days old

Customer Question

I have no money is that ok?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: A new born puppy 5 days old keeps opening and shutting her mouth belly seems to respond as if breathing and heart rate seems a little high
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Pennie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pennie?
Customer: I've been to the vet today and have been bottle feeding it it's weak and often cold to the touch which is why I took her to the vet but now she's opening and closing her mouth
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
5 days old too
poos and urinates fine
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
is the runt of the litter
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

This is not a good sign. Often a puppy will "gasp" like this right before it goes into shock. The puppy getting chilled is also an issue. Since the pup is in poor shape I want to start by giving you information on resuscitation and fading puppy syndrome. There are many reasons why your pup may not be doing well that include serious worm infestation, flea infestation causing anemia, herpes virus, and even pneumonia from milk aspiration or congenital health issues. It is sometimes referred to as fading puppy syndrome. This site has information on fading puppy syndrome.

http://www.hydeparkvet.co.uk/pethealth/dogdisease1.asp?disease=Fading+Puppy+Syndrome

This site goes over ways of helping save fading puppies.

http://showdogsupersite.com/kenlclub/breedvet/fading.html

The pup needs to be kept warm. Mom's will often push a pup away from the warmth of the litter and the pup becomes chilled and develops pneumonia and dies as a result. For pups at risk, it is better to have a heating bad under a towel and put the pup where it can move on and off of the heated par of the towel if they get too hot. It will help keep them from getting chilled. It can also help a bit if they have aspirated a small amount of liquid into the lungs.

Unfortunately, part of breeding is that some pups don't make it. That might be the case with this pup especially if it has become chilled multiple times and is now gasping for breath. Read how to get a pup breathing again here:

http://www.wikihow.com/Revive-a-Puppy

It is for newborns but the same techniques are applied for young pups as well.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no my puppy oes from really clean and ell taken care of mother
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
comes*no fleas its not just born its 5 days old.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the other site didnt even work.