How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Gary Your Own Question
Dr. Gary
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 2952
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Gary is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 7month old chihuahua ate a bite of my dark chocolate

Customer Question

Hi my 7month old chihuahua ate a bite of my dark chocolate brownie last night at 7pm we got half of the bite out but we were too late for the other piece. She hasn't vomitted or had any diarrhea she's been herself she slept through the night and pooped normal this morning. Should I still be worried?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry she's also 4.6 pounds
Expert:  Roger L. Welton, DVM replied 1 month ago.

Hello,

Chocolate toxicity stems from a compound called theobromine present in chocolate that people eliminate expediently, but dogs eliminate very slowly and it tends to accumulate even from modest amounts. Given of the tiny size of which while and given the fact that some I suite and taking chocolate are commonly used ingredients in brownies. While dark chocolate has significantly lower concentrations of theobromine, semi-sweet and baking chocolate tends to have high concentrations per unit volume. Theobromine has a half life of almost 18 hours and dogs if left accumulated in the system can lead to abnormal rhythms of the heart, seizures and liver problems. Although the signs typically will occur in the first 12 hours of ingestion, one cannot be to careful with such a small dog.

It is definitely encouraging that your little dog is not in any evident crisis, but I would have her examined and run a general blood biochemistry profile just to be sure. I had a toxicity case just last week of a dog that appeared clinically fine and the owner was bringing the patient in strictly as a precautionary matter. On my advice, we ran precautionary blood work and as a results discovered that the patient was in kidney failure from what he had ingested.,

The reason I bring this up as not to frighten you but just to make it clear that a dogs natural instinct is to adapt and survive and theyy don't always show apparent signs. Given the low toxicity index of theobromine for a 4.6 pounds dog, I believe a precautionary veterinarian visit with blood work ASAP would be wise.

Expert:  Roger L. Welton, DVM replied 1 month ago.

Do you have any other questions at this time?

Expert:  Roger L. Welton, DVM replied 1 month ago.

okay I am going to go ahead and exit the live chat. I will be checking this thread periodically so if you have any other questions at any other time, please feel free to post. Best of luck to you and her little dog, hopefully they're ultimately will be nothing to worry about... Just too much at risk to not know for certain.

Best regards,

Dr. Roger