Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

His blood cell count is in excess of 120,000. his blood cell

Customer Question

his white blood cell count is in excess of 120,000.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: his white blood cell count is in excess of 120,000
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: nowhere really. He is just tired and seems to be just less energetic. No appetite. I don't think he is in pain
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Jackpot. Does he sound like he has terminal cancer?
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jackpot?
Customer: he is nine years old and in overall good health. This just showed up. Had appointment earlier this year with blood work
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Jackpot. Can you upload a copy of all of his test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but Jackpot's vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/

Such a very elevated WBC count needs to be looked at more closely to see which of the WBCs are elevated - neutrophils (neutrophilia) and/or lymphocytes (lymphocytosis) are most important. Leukemoid reactions (see below) of over 60,000 WBCs indicate a poor prognosis because even in the presence of excessive numbers of leukocytes (usually neutrophils), the cause of the inflammatory response is not corrected. Please note that the three most common causes of neutrophilia and leukocytosis are inflammation, stress and corticosteroids (prednisone, e.g.), and exercise and epinephrine. Leukemia is relatively uncommon but may cause such a massive increase in the WBC count. Jackpot's blood smear needs to be carefully examined. Changes in the WBCs can be helpful hints when attempting to differentiate a leukemoid reaction (greater than 50,000-100,000 WBCs/uL) due to inflammatory disease from true leukemia.

Such an extreme lymphocytosis is most often associated with lymphoid leukemia. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?