Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My daxie Savannah's coat changed from dappled and red and

Customer Question

My daxie Savannah's coat changed from dappled gray and red and sellout revealing a very smooth and soft coat of soft cream like her baby fur. Within 12 hours she was back to a beautiful red hair color. What do you think caused this? Could she have been poisoned?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: We have an inning out door for the dog she is free to roam about a 1/3 acre area it is totally enclosed we keep it free of all debris, however it is not unheard of for people to poison animals in our area.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: My dog has a thyroid condition and she is 14 years old. She is my seizure dog.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It is hard to know what may have caused this odd change in texture and pigment of Savannahs coat but I can tell you that this is not any type of poison. Since she is Hypothyroid, it is more likely that this has caused this. Thyroxine is intimately involved with skin and hair and when this is not controlled, these changes can occur. This is not serious but it is worth having your vet check Savannah's thyroid levels to be sure. Other metabolic factors can cause similar issues so it is best, ***** *****'s advanced age, that a complete blood work up to be done to rule out other more serious metabolic conditions.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****