Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My Rhodesian is diabetic. She has been taking insulin shots

Customer Question

My Rhodesian is diabetic. She has been taking insulin shots for 2 years at a level of 15ml twice a day. Lately her blood sugar has climbed to around 400. She pants, constantly thirsty and going blind. Should I increase the insulin dosage.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Hi Martha, thanks for your question. When was the last time that Kat had an in-clinic glucose curve performed?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Never. It was never suggested by vet. I was given a blood test kit to do myself.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I prefer not to call.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is anybody out there?

This is concerning. A blood glucose should always be checked by veterinary staff before entering into a diabetic treatment regimen. The major reason being is that if too much insulin is prescribed there can be life-threatening results. While the dose that she's in right now seems to be working well for her, if you do increase the dosage and it's over what she needs she could become hypoglycemic and become critical. I would recommend avoiding an increase in her insulin, for this reason, and discussing treatment with her vet (or finding a vet that will assist you in updating her protocol) to see if increasing her dosage is needed based on her glucose curve. The vet that is working with her may wish to see your blood glucose numbers for the past few months (make sure you're tracking and recording these daily) before making an alteration to the amount of insulin given at each dosage.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Kat doing?