Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

What are the symptoms for kidney failure for dogs. What

Customer Question

What are the symptoms for kidney failure for dogs. What should be checked to verify this? My dog drinks tons of water. She has bad breath that smells like death.She has been in excellent health until we had to have teeth removed. Her breath is so bad and I think her mouth hurts.What can I do for her?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dwight Alleyne replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long has she been drinking excessive water for? Any vomiting or diarrhea? How is Bella's appetite

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Bella started drinking excessive water 2 months ago. She has a little diarrhea. It may be because we are giving her fish oil now to try and get her to stop itching. Her appetite is good.

Okay thanks for the additional information. When was the last time she had a dental. There are a couple of reasons why she could be drinking excessive water. Kidney disease is one of the potential cause for it in an older dog. Another cause could also be diabetes. Blood tests can easily rule out which one of these are causing the signs. If her breath smells then it could be due to dental disease but also if she has kidney disease then that could indicate that the disease is severe.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She had her teeth done a few months ago. I am having her teeth cleaned tomorrow. I did take her back to the vet a few times because of the smell. He did say she had dental disease.

Okay do you know if your veterinarian is going to do bloodwork before they anesthestize her? If they do they should be able to determine if kidney disease is present. Also they should be able to determine if anything else is going on. Maybe you should bring in an urine sample as well to get it tested to rule out an urinary tract infection

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We are not having our vet clean her teeth. She is not going to be put to sleep. So no blood work. We had blood work done before she had her teeth pulled and it was fine.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am sure she doesn't have a uti. She is emptying her bladder and is not crying and is not uncomfortable from what I have observed.

Since it has been a few months since the blood work has been performed, I would recommend repeating the bloodwork if you want to know for sure whether she has kidney disease or not . With older dogs things can change pretty quickly when it comes to their health status.