Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

He had a tail amputation due to a car accident. He only lost

Customer Question

He had a tail amputation due to a car accident. He only lost the tip of its tail about 2 inches. After surgery everything was going great but as the tail was healing he started chewing about 7 inches back from where he got surgery and now he wount stop leaking it. Took him to the vet and they want to amputate the whole tail. Don't know what to do. He has a plastic cone over his head but that doesn't stop him from reaching out to the wound.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: He was at first. But now it's not I see skin hanging and I think meat from the tail
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Betito
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Betito?
Customer: No. He was very healthy dog before all this happened. He seems very depressed and me also since I don't know what to do and I don't want him to loose all of his tail
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear about Betito's tail. This is not unusual; when a dog has a wound on his tail he can become obsessive about chewing on it. I once saw a Labrador who had just a large scratch on the tail, and until we finally got him to leave it alone so it could heal, he has a Rottweiller tail.

Is he getting pain medication? This must be painful from what you describe, and pain will contribute to his wanting to lick and chew his tail.

This will not heal, until we get him to stop licking the tail. If a cone collar is not enough, I would get a Bite Not collar, or a larger cone, so he absolutely cannot get at it, and wear it 24/7. I would start him on pain medication: anti inflammatory, plus gabapentin. I would consider giving him a mild tranquilizer for awhile, such as acepromazine.

If there is dead skin and meat hanging from the tail, that needs to removed. If it is dead, it won't regrow and is just irritating and making him want to bite the tail. I would do a second surgery to remove any dead loose skin and meat, enough to sew up and cover any exposed bone. I would only take what I have to, and try to save as much tail as possible.

Let me know what other questions you have. The sooner you get this treated, the more of his tail will be saved.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I hope you were able to see my responses; I have not heard back from you! Can I help with anything else?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?