Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

He's having runny poop but he's nothing throwing up and he

Customer Question

He's having runny poop but he's nothing throwing up and he is extremely payful with a big appetite
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: no I gave him some table scraps (chicken) but I was told that another dog had pooped where we normally go for our walks and his poop was runny after that is when he started
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Napoleon 5 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Napoleon?
Customer: no hes been doing fine
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

When did this start?

Have you changed his diet at all?

Had he eaten anything else beside the chicken before this all started?

When was he last checked for parasites and protazoa?

is he around other dogs much?

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry that we missed each other. Since you are offline now I wanted to give you some suggestions.

For pups that age the most common cause for diarrhea is due to something they ate or internal parasites or protazoa. If the dog is in areas where other dogs congregate then I would suspect parasites as a cause.

Intestinal upset from something the pup ate or If this has only just started and he is acting normally , I would suggest fasting him for 24 hours (can have water) and then start a bland diet of boiled chicken (no skin, grease, fat) and cooked white rice, The fasting should give the intestines the time to become less inflamed and the bland diet will sooth the stomach.

If there is still a problem after that then I would certainly advise you to bring in a stool sample for testing. Different parasites will need different treatments and there are parasites such as whipworm that live in the soil for years and dogs can pick them up easily. Something like this would need to be treated and then a preventative given year round if your soil become infected.