Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.
60411192

My Aussie almost got her paw ran over by a fourwheeler. She

Customer Question

My Aussie almost got her paw ran over by a fourwheeler. She yelped but pulled up out of it too quick to be completely cover by the tire. The vet isn't open till the morning. Her paw isn't. Welling and she is still walking not really limping. The back side though doesn't seem to feel right. If her top bones were broke could she still walk?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

Thank goodness that your Aussie's paw wasn't completely run over by the vehicle!

It's unlikely that any bones are broken if she's still walking on the leg and she doesn't excessively react when you feel all around her toes and foot.

I suspect she might be somewhat sore which would be expected and the foot could still swell after a few hours but a broken bone(s) should be fairly obvious soon after the injury.

If she's not currently taking any steroids or nsaid medication and isn't vomiting, then Aspirin may be given which may help with any discomfort/pain she's experiencing or with any inflammation which will develop. The dose would be 10 mgs per pound of body weight twice a day, with food to avoid stomach upset.

Applying a cool compress to the foot for 5-10 minutes several times a day may also be helpful. Be sure to wrap whatever you use in a towel or something similar so that it doesn't come into direct contact with her body.

If you do take her to your vet to be seen, you'll want to mention that you gave her Aspirin (if you do) since it may interfere with what they'd want to prescribe. However, having said that, a dose or two should be fine.

I hope this helps, Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 5 months ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on your Aussie. How are things going with her foot? Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb