Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I noticed my dog's head was shaking and it has happened a

Customer Question

I noticed my dog's head was shaking and it has happened a couple of times today. He is 10 years old. What's going on?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

There are two main considerations when head shaking (tremors) are seen - intention tremor which is a tremor of the head and neck that occurs when focusing on something such as a food bowl. This is associated with cerebellar disorders. Other localizing signs (e.g., hypermetria/exaggerated motions, disequilibrium/"drunken sailor") are present.

Idiopathic (unknown cause) head tremors are episodic and may be confused for focal seizures. They are often precipitated by excitement or particular head positions and caretakers may describe a characteristic "yes" or "no" movement of the head and normal consciousness. Mentation (mental status) and gait remain normal during episodes.

Can you video an event and upload it to YouTube and then give me (and his vet) the link to it? This is a good example in which a picture is worth 1000 words.