Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 2 month old toy poodle and he has not been drinking

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 2 month old toy poodle and he has not been drinking water for the past two days. He moved yesterday to my house after staying with me at my sisters house and I gave him a worming medication and flea medicine was placed on his back. His urine is very yellow and has a strong odor. Is this normal?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the poodle's name?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** I purchased petlock for the flea medicine
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about shadow?
Customer: No, that's been it. I gave him some apple for snack and he's been eating a lot and is very active
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. If he is eating and is active, it doesn't sound like an emergency situation. If he was dehydrated, then he most likely wouldn't be active at all. If you are feeding canned food and give some apple, he may be getting most of his water intake from that. Make sure that he isn't drinking water from anywhere else. Check his gums to make sure they are moist. If the urine has a bad odor to it and is dark, I would have your vet check it out to make sure he doesn't have an urinary tract infection. They often drink more with that, but not always. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok. I've been giving him water with some chicken broth but he refused to drink it but he's eating organic wet chicken food from pet select. I tried pinching his skin and his skin sticks up.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How long should I wait before I take him to the doctor
Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 months ago.
You can get him into the vet tomorrow, that would probably be good. It doesn't sound like an emergency but he may be a little dehydrated if his skin is sticking up after you pinch it. Those wet foods are over 60% water, so he is getting a lot of water from that. Just have your vet check his urine tomorrow and make sure that he's not dehydrated. It sounds like he's going to be okay though. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 months ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Shadow is doing and to see if you have any further questions.