Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

He has been diagnosed with liver disease and spent a few

Customer Question

He has been diagnosed with liver disease and spent a few days at a doggie specialized hospital. he seemed to recover and has been eating Hills l/d in addition to taking pepcid, predisone, a big blue pill that starts with a D and ursodiol. Our vet doesn't have the pill that starts with D so they sent him adnosyl. He took it a couple of days but since it smells so much he can tell it is the rte and refuses to take it. Now, he will not eat the l/d nor will he eat rice and chicken broth. Occasionally he will lap up the juice, and he does drink water, but he has recently stopped that. Right now he is lying on his bed, breathing lightly, not looking hop or wagging when I came near.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Hamlet, recuse mutt, guess 7 yrs
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Hamlet?
Customer: he's had other issues. Allergic to his own plaque so had to pull all his teeth out. Some kind of immunity issues- all his toenails fell out. Have grown back.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I'm sorry to hear of this with Hamlet. His current anorexia is likely to represent recrudescence (relapse without cure in between events) of his liver disease. It would be prudent to speak to his specialist internist about Hamlet's current condition as that specialist knows more about Hamlet than any other vet. Were you given a specific diagnosis for Hamlet? Can you upload a copy of Hamlet's test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but hisvet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/