Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

We think my dog ate a used tampon. He likes to dig through

Customer Question

We think my dog ate a used tampon. He likes to dig through our bathroom trash. It may have been about 30 minutes ago. He seems fine right now. He pooped and is chewing on a toy.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Booboo 2 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Booboo?
Customer: He is 12lbs
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 8 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Dogs frequently eat things they shouldn’t. If your dog ate it in the last hour and a half then you can try to get your dog to vomit the tampon back up. This is important because tampons are designed to swell and if it swells inside the stomach, it may require surgery to remove. You can induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide 3%. Instructions on dosage can be found here:

http://www.bichonfriseusa.com/ref/inducevom.htm

If it has been longer than an hour and a half, then you will need to watch your dog for abdominal pain, constipation or difficulty having a bowel movement, not eating or drinking, or dry heaves. If your dog develops any of these symptoms that would indicate an intestinal obstruction and immediate vet care is needed to remove the tampon. Read more on that here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastric-stomach-foreign-body-in-dogs/page1.aspx

A large dog may pass a tampon with little difficulty, but smaller dogs may have serious problems so please keep a close eye on your dog and be sure the tampon is safely out of booboo's system. The good news is that a used tampon does not swell as much as an usused tampon.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 7 months ago.

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. Let me know if my answer was helpful.