Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Throwing up not eating diarrhea, not that I know of, black 6

Customer Question

throwing up not eating diarrhea
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: not that I know of
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: black 6 weeks
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about black?
Customer: all his siblings re sick too
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) How many siblings are there?
2) Are they ALL vomiting, not eating and having diarrhea? Any blood in the stool or vomit?
3) Are they all in the same environment currently?
4) Any changes in their diet? new food? new treats? human food?
5) What veterinary care have they had?
6) Any deworming or care provided by the owners?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
7 siblings
No new food
No blood
2 have been wormed
Seen vet for dew claws

Are they all in the same environment currently?

What dewormer was used?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Dewormer from vet

The are a variety of concerns when we see vomiting and diarrhea in puppies this young. Our first concern should be intestinal parasites even though 2 of the puppies have been dewormed, another concern should be a virus shared between the puppies such as parvo or distemper.

My recommendation would be to either take the whole litter of puppies in to see a vet or hire a mobile vet to come see them within the home, whichever is easiest for you. If this happens to be viral, their best chance at survival will be quickly addressing the symptoms with an effective treatment plan.

Failing this, you can administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours to each puppy. You need to weigh each individual, especially if they vary greatly in size. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If they require a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that they typically eat.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion doing? Is there any further help I can provide to you?