Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

He ate 3 sticks of butter, his name is Fenway, 11 months,

Customer Question

he ate 3 sticks of butter
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** months, and weighs about 60 lbs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Fenway?
Customer: no that's it. I just don't know the consequences of this
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 month ago.

Hi jaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Dogs frequently eat things they shouldn’t. If your dog ate it in the last hour and a half then you can try to get your dog to vomit it back up. Fatty, greasy foods can cause pancreatitis so straight butter could cause an attack as well. It will definitely cause diarrhea and probably vomiting on its own. You can induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide 3%. Instructions on dosage can be found here:

http://www.bichonfriseusa.com/ref/inducevom.htm

If it has been longer than an hour and a half, then you will need to watch your dog for symptoms. Symptoms of pancreatitis vary but include vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, weakness or collapse, dehydration, shock, fever, depression, and upper abdominal pain. A dog may indicate abdominal pain by acting restless, panting, crying or wincing when picked up, shaking, standing with an arched back, or lying with the front end down and the rear end elevated

You can read about it in detail here:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1580&aid=335

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/acute-pancreatitis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

The good thing is that he is 60 pounds and he may handle the butter better than a smaller dog would. You might want to switch to a bland food like boiled chicken and rice for a few days as well so his stomach gets a little rest.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. Let me know if my answer was helpful.