Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

Suspect he may have kennel cough, Canelo and he is 1 Yr and

Customer Question

Suspect he may have kennel cough
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Canelo and he is 1 Yr and 10 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Canelo?
Customer: In June he had an exploratory surgery after he ate some hard plastic from a chew toy. He had 2 surgeries to repair his intestine. I'm hoping it has nothing to do with that
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Lisa I'm hoping you can put me at ease at least
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

How long has Canelo been coughing?

Has he been around other dogs or has he gone places other dogs gather?

Has he ever had a kennel cough vaccine?

How is he acting otherwise?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He's starmed acting different then normal about midweek yesterday is when I noticed his coughing which I though or figured he had swallowed or ate something he wasn't supposed to which was why I was fearing the worst about the exploratory surgery part. And last week we started exercising at a local park which is a very common place here in town don't see much dogs around when we go, but I know dogs have been there. And no not that I'm aware of he hasn't had that vaccine. And other wise hes acting okayish he's not acting his normal self since he's usually very hyper and playing with the other dogs at home. When he gets excited that's when I notice the cough more. And heso eaten but not much drinking more water then anything just a little lethargic also
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

Okay...great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

If you just started taking him to that park last week, and it's a new place, then the odds of it being kennel cough are pretty high.

The good news is that kennel cough generally only gets so bad before it gets better on it's own, so I don't feel like you need to rush him to the emergency vet or anything tonight, but I absolutely think that taking into consideration his history, it might not be a bad idea to give your vet a call tomorrow, just to be on the safe side and see if they want to get him on some antibiotics, just to be on the safe side.

You can also talk to them about giving him the vaccine...it'll protect him against kennel cough that he encounters after this if you're going to be taking him to that park with some regularity.

And of course, it goes without saying that if he gets sicker tonight, or if he starts to show any signs of an obstruction such as vomiting immediately after eating/drinking anything, becomes lethargic or anorexic, then you should have him seen before your vet opens tomorrow.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I know when he had thever obstruction and had a ruptured intestine, he was throwing up and had really bad diarrhea. Right now after his coughing fits he gags and coughs up a frothy flegm like substance .
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

That's actually normal with kennel cough....as long as he's not having diarrhea and is still otherwise acting normally you can keep an eye on him.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Lisa
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He's doing ok i took him to the vet Monday and turns out he has heartworms. Right now they have him on doxycyline tabs and caught him up on his vaccinations. I have to go back in a month to start a treatment for the heartworms if I'm not mistaken. Still kind of lost on whats really going on and what the next round of procedures consists of. Also he seems a little lethargic and doesn't eat as much so idk if that's a side effect of the tabs
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

My guess is that he's lethargic because of the medication, but could also be because of the heartworms.

The next round of procedures will be a series of injections that will kill the worms. It'll need to be done slowly and you'll need to keep him quiet while he's undergoing treatment, but hopefully they caught it early and he'll make a full recovery.