How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 28006
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am not sure if my dog ingested acyclovir. Should I cause

Customer Question

I am not sure if my dog ingested acyclovir. Should I cause her to vomit she is 5 mos old
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

How much does Ruby weigh, please, and how many milligrams of acyclovir could have been ingested? Acyclovir is an antiviral agent that causes termination of viral DNA synthesis by inhibiting viral reverse transcriptase. Acyclovir is used therapeutically to treat herpes simplex, cytomegalovirus, Epstein-Barr, and varicella-Zoster. Although acyclovir is thought to be low in toxicity, it has caused an obstructive nephropathy from accumulation of crystals in renal tissue. A retrospective review (January 1995 through March 2000) was conducted of acyclovir toxicoses in dogs reported to the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center. Of 105 ingestions, 10 were considered cases of acyclovir toxicosis. The most common signs seen were vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, and lethargy. Ingested dosages ranged from 40 to 2195 mg/kg bw. Polyuria and polydipsia were reported in I dog. In 6/10 cases, signs developed within 3 h of ingestion. Treatment included standard decontamination procedures, (ie induction of emesis, administration of activated charcoal), diuresis, and supportive care.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Possibly a 1 gram tablet. But I am not sure she ate any? My count seems like it could be right but I can't swear by it. She was found just chewing the cap.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

...and how much does Ruby weigh, please?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No I can't really afford it.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

Don't worry about a phone call. How much does Ruby weigh, please?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Let me chec
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
27 lbs
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

Thank you. If she did ingest 1000 mg, she would have ingested 81 mg/kg of body weight which according to the information above would be enough to cause vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, and lethargy within 3 hours of ingestion. If you found her chewing the cap within 2 hours of now, inducing emesis would be prudent by dosing her with 30 mL (2 measuring tablespoons) of 3% hydrogen peroxide by means of a small poultry baster placed between her cheek teeth and cheek. She should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, please repeat the same dose.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I should wait 2 hrs from the time I found her chewing the cap and then induce vomiting? Right now she is acting fine and its be about 20 min from the time we saw her. Which was about the time she got the bottle.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

No, you would induce emesis now. If you waited two hours, the drug would have been absorbed into her system by then.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok that is what I thought I will induce vomiting now. What signs should I watch for today?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

If an appreciable amount were already absorbed, vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, and lethargy within 3 hours of ingestion. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Once she vomits should she be ok?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

Yes, she should do well. This isn't a serious intoxication.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok she vomited up an no sign of the pill which is pretty large so I would think it would not have dissolved yet.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

Well done!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your help, it's been a while since I had a puppy around will need to move stuff out of her way. It was a safety lock container so I didn't think about it. But obviously not puppy proof.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.

You're quite welcome. Yes, it can be a challenge to puppy proof your home. You can't imagine what Ruby will find!