Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Can I give my dog has kidney failure and heart failure....

Customer Question

Can I give my dog has kidney failure and heart failure.... Can I give her subq fluids?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Daisy 12
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Daisy?
Customer: I notice she is not breathing well
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she been breathing heavy?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?
Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count your dog’s breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?

Have you recently given fluids before the breathing changed?

What medications is she on?

What are the doses and what she weighs?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She started breathing heavy a few hours ago..pink gums heart rate 60...she has 50ml 13 hours ago of fluids... She is on tramadol 1/4 tablet every 8 hours ... She took the tablet 5 hours ago...she weight 8 pounds 11 oz
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I wanted to know if I should give her subq fluids?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

In regards ***** ***** question, if her breathing rate (not her heart rate) is >30 breaths per minute, then you cannot give her any more fluids. This is because if you did give fluids prior to the changes in her breathing rate, it raises concerns of fluid leaking into the lungs secondary to fluid overload. So, you absolutely cannot give any more and may need to even think about having her seen if she is really struggling. Her vet can start diuretics to remove the fluid from the lungs and give oxygen to ease her signs. But in this case more fluids would be risky for your wee one and has to be avoided just now.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The fluids were done at the vet this afternoon...The breathing started tonight... Is there anything I can do right now?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

In that case, we will need to let them know that this has developed secondarily as soon as we can. Otherwise, there is little can be done at home since the only options to ease breathing and remove the fluid suspected in the lungs would again be giving oxygen and starting diuretic medication (usually by injection when they are struggling to get it acting faster).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

How is everything with your wee one?

Dr. B.