Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 12 year old diabetic westie about 16lbs. He has

Customer Question

I have a 12 year old diabetic westie about 16lbs. He has been throwing up occasionally for the last 24 hrs after his feedings and shot. We have lowered his insulin and give a little tsp of ice cream after he vomits so his sugar does not crash. He is drinking water but now has diarrhea with bright red discharge. His brother just also had a bug two days ago like this without the bloody discharge...any thoughts?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No he did not (that we know of)
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Dingo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dingo?
Customer: He is diabetc and receives three shots per day. We have a very small window to keep him regulated, but has been good for a few weeks. Have been feeding him chicken and a lean hamburger the last two feedings.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can he keep water down?

Does it look like pure blood in his stool? How much?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
His gums are pink and i guess more sticky than moist. He has kept water down and the chicken/lean hamburger given at 9:30 last night and at 5:30 EST this morning. Does not seem bothered by pressing on his stomach and it is dark out so I could not see his stool just the bright blood on his white fur when he came inside. Do not believe he digested a toy and do not give bones. His brother did just have the same thing two days ago but without the bloody stool. He normally gets insulin 3x per day (2units) but have given either 1/1.5 due to the vomiting. He still acts like he wants to eat and is drinking water.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

First, we have to be very careful with Dingo. Diabetics are very delicate in situations like this and we need to act quickly here. This is because while this sounds suspicious of a bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, or possible ingestion of harmful items (thankfully less likely); his diabetes make this a much more precarious situation.

Therefore, further to use of the icecream to increase the blood sugars, if he is weak and lethargic at any point, we can try boosting his blood sugar by rubbing a sugary syrup (ie glucose syrup, honey, karo syrup, pancake syrup, or even non-grape jam) onto the gums. Afterwards, since he is starting to keep bits of food/water down, we can try to counter his nausea with an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has any other known health issues or is on any other medications you haven't mentioned. Though if he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once he is more settled, your light diet is good.Just to note some other protein options, you can also use boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) There are also OTC vet diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) that can be used too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and less risk with his diabetes. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Finally, since this sounds more like blood due to diarrhea induced inflammation to the colon, we can try to reduce his diarrhea via a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). Avoid Imodium or Pepto Bismol here. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing but given the other dog having had signs infectious agents and common exposures would be our main concerns. And with his diabetes he is just much more fragile then the other dog, so we’d want to start supportive care to try to settle his stomach. Though if he cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within the next few hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, ensure and start injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle this and get him back feeling like himself.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

How is everything with your wee one?

Dr. B.