Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 4 month old American bulldog has recently become very

Customer Question

my 4 month old American bulldog has recently become very itchy, her neck under her front legs and her ears. what can I do to help her?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: yes, no wound
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the bulldog's name?
Customer: Macy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Macy?
Customer: she is great other than this, very healthy still eating and drinking well
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Now I would note that if Macy has any signs of sores, pustules/pimples, ulcers or crusting; we would want a check with her vet to ensure there is no signs of mites, fungal infections, or bacterial pyoderma as each would need specific treatment to clear.

Though if we aren't seeing those, we can try some supportive care for her. To start, do make sure she is up to date with flea treatment since it only takes one bite to trigger allergic skin irritation for dogs. Otherwise, you can try her with an OTC antihistamine likeBenadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. Though we like to keep the dose low, since it can cause drowsiness (just like people). Of course, these shouldn't be used if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Finally, if she is diffusely itchy, it can help to also bathe the in an emollient (ie Episoothe, oatmeal based) shampoo. This will help soothe the skin along with the others and keep her comfortable. Though of course if there are any of the above additional skin changes present or she doesn't settle with the above, then we'd again want a check to rule those other concerns and get her onto antibiotics +/- strong anti-inflammatories to nip this in the bud for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.