Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

We have a small Morkie and an older dachshund. They usually

Customer Question

We have a small Morkie and an older dachshund. They usually leave other alone. Starting an hour ago, the morkie is sitting beside the other dogs bed and won't leave his side. The older dog is in bad health lately. Can the Morkie possibly smell if the older dog might be dying?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is this new behavior?
Customer: Yes...the morkie never did this before, and WILL NOT leave his side. Just sits and stares at him
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dachshund?
Customer: He can no longer hold his bladder long, and he does fall over on his side, almost like a seizure for a minute or so, then he's up and fine
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

This is unlikely due to smell, but more accompanying a companion that has had a change in their lifestyle. Many dogs will avoid each other until one or both have a change in their personality, at which point we can see the interaction of the dogs change, as well as the dynamic of the household.

If the dachshund is having health problems, I would certainly have these worked up to determine the cause. When you mention that he falls to his side for a brief while and then he's up and fine, this sounds more like a heart issue than it does seizure activity. With syncope (heart related "fainting") dogs will 'pass out' for a few moments, get up and continue their day as though nothing happened. With seizures, it's more typical to see jerking motions or staring off into space. They will lose consciousness for the more major types of seizures and can be fully awake for the less major ones. They do, however, tend to act a bit off both before and after the seizures happen, which can give us a clue as to whether or not this is seizure activity or a cardiac concern. Whether heart-related or seizure related, there are often medications to stop these types of episodes. As well, there are medications on the market that can help with bladder control.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am wondering why the Morkie won't leave the other dogs side...she's sitting by his bed staring at him. She's been the an hour or so, just watching him sleep. This is not usual behavior for the Morkie. We cannot get her to voluntarily leave him
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
22 October 2016 07:14

Were you able to see my post above, Andrea?