Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I have a 3 month lab and I noticed today that she has what

Customer Question

I have a 3 month lab and I noticed today that she has what appears to be mucus in her urine. She has slept almost all day
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** we are very concerned about the mucus in her urine
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Abbey?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Is she urinating or drinking any more frequently?
2) Any blood in the urine?
3) Any accidents?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No blood and no accidents, I don't think her water intake is any more than normal

The mucus in her urine may be a benign finding, but it also may be associated with a urinary tract infection, which are fairly common in young puppies. The ideal approach would be to have her examined, a urinalysis performed and treatment started according to what is found in the urine. More often than not, this is a course of antibiotics and then your vet may or may not recommend a recheck urinalysis after the antibiotic course is finished. With the lack of major symptoms, you should be able to wait until Monday to have her examined if this is your preference.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is there anything I can do for her until we can see the doctor on Monday

You can increase fluid that she is intaking with canned food or kibble that has been moistened (this will help to keep her bladder flushed) and you can also add a few drops of pure cranberry juice to her food and water 2-3 times daily. This should help to cut back on any discomfort. Do not give any OTC human NSAID medication at home as they're often toxic to dogs and will worsen her situation.

Checking in, JACustomer. How did Abbey do this weekend? How is she feeling now?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She's about the same, seeing her vet tomorrow

Keep me posted. Let me know if I can help further. I hope all goes well!

How did Abbey's vet visit go?