Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Came home to my dachshund shivering from pain and im 99

Customer Question

Came home to my dachshund shivering from pain and im 99 percent sure her back is the problem. I can pet her all over except her back near her tail. Even if i lightly touch it she yelps. She cant get comfortable. I gave her 50 mg tramadol half an hour ago.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dachshund's name and age?
Customer: Pandy age 7
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pandy?
Customer: She hurt her back once before. Our vet gave her some shots for pain then put her on this tramadol
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

It certainly does sound like her back may be bothering her.

As you may well know, Dachshunds and other small breed dogs are prone to a condition known as IVDD or intervertebral disk disease. This commonly manifests itself as discomfort in the neck and back. We can see symptoms as minor as tenderness and as major as full paralysis of the back legs. You can learn more here: http://sevneurology.com/articles/intervertebral-disk-disease-ivdd-in-dogs/

She needs to be kept in a kennel or other small area with restricted access in movement (bed rest, essentially). This should be padded well with plush blankets to help support her neck and back. She can go outside to potty but should be carried and placed gently in the grass and then carried back to her kennel. Do not encourage or permit playtime, running or excited activity like jumping. Even something so minor as taking stairs may worsen her condition drastically. If she does not make improvements in the next few hours or she worsens, she absolutely needs to see an ER vet today.

Your vet will likely recommend x-rays to check her neck and back and will place her on a canine-safe NSAID and muscle relaxers, as well as the tramadol. Strict kennel rest will continue for a few days to a few weeks based on her condition.

Please take the time to read through the link above as the chances are good that she may require surgery in the future as recurring back and neck issues are common once they start in dachshunds. This is typically performed by a specialist and, although rather expensive, can be curative.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JaCustomer. How is Pandy today? Is she feeling better?