Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

His bottom lip on the right side is drooping and he is

Customer Question

His bot***** *****p on the right side is drooping and he is slobbering.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: His appetite is good and he is running around. However, his eye is red at night but clear in the morning. No other symptoms. The slobbering is only sometimes not all the time.
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Butterball and he is about 11 or 12 years old. He was a rescue.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Butterball?
Customer: No, he has always been healthy.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry. Butterball is about 10 years old.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He also tilts his head to the right side but barely.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

How long has he had these signs?

Is the lip swollen?

Is the right side of his face drooping besides the lip?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Also, can be blink his right eye?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will take a picture and let me check for the blinking. hold on please
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
he is blinking.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
my husband is taking a picture now....please hold
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
His eye closes when he goes to sleep does that help you. also his temp is 99 degrees
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
there is no discharge out of the nose and the drop of the bot***** *****p has been this way for a week.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
husband is still working on the pic
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
would you like to call us.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you,

I am just helping with an emergency, so I will do so and await your photo. And please disregard the phone call request since it is an automatic website feature and not from me.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I thought the phone call would be from you....can I cancel that?
Can I send you the pic on Justanswer.com
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My husband took a pic with his iPhone. Can I have an address to send you the pic please?
I'm typing to you from my computer so we need to send the pic from the iPhone.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hi again,

You can post a photo using the paperclip button here or post it on any site like those I noted before and just paste the link here for me to follow. And the call will expire, so we can disregard it.

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

PS- Its against policy to disclose emails, so you may need him to email it to you to then post for me.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. will do that now.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Grand, my dear.

I will keep my eyes peeled.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
please, give me an email address to send it to you... i'm not to good at this. I have the pic for my husband in a email he sent me.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can I send it to Justanswer.com?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Darling, as I said before I cannot. It would be blocked by the site and it is against policy. So, you can post it on those sites I mentioned if you don't' see the paperclip picture over your text box but an email isn't possible (and customer service can take days to get photos to me)

I have to say that the reason I am keen to see what this looks like is because this doesn't' sound like an inflammatory issue. Instead, I am concerned about a possible a cranial nerve issue. Especially since you noted a head tilt. This is something we can see with nerve inflammation but also if there are dental abscesses, inner ear infections, or facial masses impinging on the nerve. Furthermore, we can see this if there has been a trauma to the face. So, a photo would be ideal but if you just cannot do so and since that is my top worry with what you reported, we'd want him to see his vet as soon as they are open. That way they can confirm our concerns and start dog safe anti-inflammatories to try to settle this for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
sorry I'm unable to send pics. I will take him to his vet as soon as I can. Thank you for your help!Regards,
Sandra
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

No worries Sandra,

Though again I do suspect facial nerve issues here ,so it's not an emergency but worth a check when your vet is open.

Best wishes,

Dr. B

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.