Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My pug shitzu mix is maybe 3 months old. He was ok today my

Customer Question

My pug shitzu mix is maybe 3 months old. He was ok today my wife said he ate, drink water, then she gave him a bath and since he is breathing funny, whimpering, and has a very swollen belly. No attempt of vomittting. Only peeing
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He is just laying down and kind of labored breathing. I got him to wag a tail and walk a little but he just wanted to lay down :/
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Any chance of a fall or injury?

Could he have eaten something non-edible or harmful?

Any pain when you press on the belly?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?
Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count your dog’s breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Breathing is around 72,
He finally went poop, still breathing funny and still just wanting to lay down. His gums are pink looking at a pale pink shade almost but pink.He could have fallen or eaten something definitely, at this point it's only his breathing and laziness that's really concerning
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

Now I have to say that I am quite concerned about this breathing rate hours after a bath. This rate is amounts 2.5 normal resting rate for pups and while its good that his gums are pink I am worried that he is having to breathe that fast to keep himself that well oxygenated. That said, further to aspiration pneumonia from bath water, our other concern would be that the elevated rate could be due to pain. But since he just seems lethargic that makes pain less likely and again fits with not having oxygen to spare to for doing much. With that all in mind and given the lack of improvement of these signs, I do have to say that it'd be ideal to have him seen. If this was my patient, I would see him urgently so that we could listen +/- xray his lungs and assess the severity here. At the same time they can check his oxygenation and if compromised put him onto oxygen to support hi. As well, bronchodilators, anti-inflammatories, and antibiotics could be started to help ease this for him before he can fatigue from breathing so heavy and collapses on us.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via

https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )