Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.
60411192

The bend in the leg just above his paw is hurt and the skin

Customer Question

The bend in the leg just above his paw is hurt and the skin around it is open
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No, he ran at my tire excitedly as we were pulling into the driveway
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Hosmer and he's right about 6 months old or so
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hosmer?
Customer: He let us wrap his leg and he walked slowly with the other 3 legs and came into house and ate and drank a little and we got him to his dog bed and he is calmly sleeping
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that Hosmer has injured his leg. If the injury isn't too severe, then it's quite possible that it will heal without the need to have him seen.

The following is what I'd suggest:

1. A bandage is not a bad thing to have applied but you'll want to change it daily so that you can monitor for signs of infection or swelling (which might mean that it's applied too tightly).

2. I would clean the area with dilute betadine/iodine (to the color of weak tea) and let it dry. These anti-septic products are available at most pharmacies. I would avoid hydrogen peroxide since it can retard healing and alcohol will burn (which you probably already know.)
3. Then I would apply over the counter topical antibiotic ointment such as you would use for a wound on yourself.

4. Another excellent product which can increase healing would be Vetericyn Spray which may be available at local pet/grain stores or online.

5. If Hosmer isn't currently vomiting nor taking any steroid or nsaid medication, then Aspirin can be given at a dose of 10 mgs per pound of body weight twice a day, with food to avoid stomach upset.

I'd treat the leg as above for 5-7 days in which time you should see significant healing. If not and/or the area starts to develop pus or becomes red and inflamed, then a vet visit may be prudent.

Of course, depending on the extent of the injury, it might be preferable to have him seen so that the skin can be sutured but if the injury isn't too large, then it should heal although it may take a little longer to do so.

I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Hosmer. How are things going with his leg? Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb