Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Dragging back leg if laying too, just started on

Customer Question

Dragging back leg if laying too long, just started on ketoconazole tonight, would that cause it? JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age? Customer: Gracie, 14 1/2 years old JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gracie? Customer: On insulin shots as well, dragging of her leg just started a couple hours ago and I gave her her Ketoconazole 3 hours ago I don't think that's a side effect but I just want to verify. About 4 hours after pill I gave her half a previcox pill hoping it's a pinched nerve or muscle. When she stands up and gets moving it does not drag but she cannot go up steps

Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Does she have feeling in her leg?

Is it colder then her others?

Any history of trauma or a fall/injury?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

No history and not cold, it is ok today but I did not give dose of Ketoconazole without knowing if this could be a side effect, my vet is out of town till monday

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear that she has settled and she hasn't signs of spinal or blood clot issues. In regards ***** ***** question, this isn't a recognized side effect of this drug. If anything, this drug has been mostly seen to cause adverse signs of gut upset, skin irritation, liver damage, coat color changes or infertility with long use. So, we'd be more suspicious of an unrelated strain/sprain, pinched nerve, or a flare up arthritis then a reaction to the Ketoconazole. That said, if her vet is out of town you can choose to give her a break in treating with the anti-fungal and using the Previcox for a few days to keep her comfortable. But again this just isn't a sign we see with this medication and I do suspect its coincidental.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )