Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My dog has seed like things in his poop for the last week,

Customer Question

JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: My dog has white seed like things in his poop for the last week, and now is having soft poop or diarrhea
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Louie, age 6
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Louie?
Customer: He has a history of Pancreatitis
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've been feeding him chicken and rice for the last 5 days. He is acting like he has an upset stomach, bowing once in awhile, eating grass/weeds. But otherwise is acting like himself. He is eating, but not drinking much water. Although, he will eat ice.I've attached a photo of the poop - I had it tested at the vet and it is not worms or parasites.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

What you may be seeing is parasites so if the pup has not been wormed lately you will want to drop off a stool sample to your vet and see what type and how many different parasites you may be dealing with.

The most common is tapeworm which looks like little grains of rice. There are parasites such as whipworm that are only seen under microscope. These eggs live in the soil for years and dogs get them from ingestion such as licking their feet

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've already tested his poop. It is not worms or parasites.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

Then it may be something else he is ingesting. Was this in his stool when you brought it in to the vet for testing? Did they test for giardia and cocciddia?

has this been in the stool since you started the bland diet of chicken an rice?

Was the dog given any meds for worms or parasites?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm not sure what they tested the poop for - they just said negative. I"ll call and find out. He is not the type of dog to really eat anything, and we keep our dogs in one room while we are out of the house (with no food/plants/etc). Any other ideas?
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

It could actually be bits of rice, that does not break down well as it is meant to firm up the stool.

if there are any of these particles on the fur around the anus then it is likely tapeworm which could have been a reinfection from somewhere as tapeworm looks like small grains of rice and you will usually see it around the anus as well

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The vet did not test for giardia and coccidia as they said they look for specific symptoms like explosive diarrhea and blood in the stool. I'm just confused as to what to do at this point. Like I said, he is acting okay, just like he has an upset stomach and I get overly concerned because he has a history of pancreatitis.The white seeds were in the poop before I started chicken and rice, about a week ago. And there are a LOT of them. He has an appetite. He is only pooping in the mornings (and used to poop 2-3 times/day) and his poop is soft or diarrhea.Should I keep feeding chicken and rice? Do I just need to see the vet?
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

I would bring in a sample and I might switch from the chicken and rice and go to a bland diet food that Hills has that can be picked up at the vet office, sometimes that works better. He should not have soft diarrhea for this long. Is there is any slime that coats the stool at times then that is an indication of intestinal distress, which can be associated with parasites. I wonder if the Vet missed something there. If there is still diarrhea they may want to give some flagyl.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ask to test coccidia and giardia? And switch to bland food?
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

That's what I would do, since he still has diarrhea or soft stool. If you want to put off the stool testing until you switch to the bland hills diet you can do that and see how it goes. I would also fast him for 24 hours before giving the food but he can have water.