Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has had diarrhea off and on a couple days now and has

Customer Question

My dog has had diarrhea off and on a couple days now and has now started urinatjng in the house. He has had diarrhea before but the urinating is unusual for him
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?
Customer: What I had said above
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: He doesn't seem in pain. He does seem a little more sleepy
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Blaze
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Blaze?
Customer: Not off hand
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What does the diarrhea look like?

When he has urinary accidents, is it large or small ones?

Does he seem to need to go more often?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Sticky or moist?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tensing or pain?

Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie plants, toxins, toys, bones, medications, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
His diahrea is lure liquid and brown in color. The urinary incontinence is small to medium size. His gums apprear normal and when his stomach is touched he doesn't appear uncomfortable. He has gotten into some mashed potatoes made from a box but otherwise his diet has been normal.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you,
Now given the character of his urination, this sound like a bladder infection. It isn't uncommon to see this with dogs that have diarrhea as they often spread the pathogenic bacteria from their loose stools to their urethra when the lick these areas.
Now cystitis with often need antibiotics clear, so we made him to see his vet for that at this point. Though in the meantime, we'd want to keep him drinking well to maintain hydration and try to flush the bacteria from the bladder.
In regards ***** ***** stools, we'd want to start supportive care to counter these. To start you can put him into a light diet like rice with boiled chicken, white fish, scrambled eggs, or cottage cheese. These are all gentle on the gut and easy to digest. As well, you can add canned pumpkin and OTC canine probiotics ( ie fortiflora, bene-bac) to these meals to bulk up his still and support his gut.
If he settles on this, then we are happy with the gut situation at least. Though anymore diarrhea and we'd want a check up and stool test to make sure there is nothing more we need to be addressing for your wee lad's gut signs as we address the suspect bladder infection.Please take care,
Dr. B
------------------------------------
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Afterwards, please make sure to rate my help ( using the stars or typing a rating) as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you. :)