Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Just got a female dog and she has had gastrointestinal

Customer Question

Just got a young female dog and she has had gastrointestinal issues including parasites two times in the past month and a half, her bloodwork is good, but she gets upset stomach, vomiting and or diarrhea on a regular basis. Now she has gone into heat and coinciding with further vomiting and some diarrhea. What could be causing her regular (maybe once a week) upset stomach?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) What food is she on full time?
2) Are you giving any treats? human food?
3) Is she on a monthly deworming protocol? If so, what?
4) What intestinal parasites did she have?
5) Has she ever had a negative fecal exam?
6) Has a fecal culture been sent to the lab for her?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Right now she is on hills rx diet (dry) for about a week. Good results in general. No treats or human food. not on a monthly deworming. She Has been on monthly heartworm meds. she has hadparasite meds first : metronidazole, then metro nidazole and pyrantel for her second episode. Both because of testing positive stool exam. She had an initial negative stool exam 1 week after we adopted her. Not sure about how to answer "fecal culture(?)

I'm afraid I cannot offer a phone call due to the hour.

I inquire about the fecal culture as intermittent issues with GI upsets are sometimes due to bacterial overgrowths, though we typically see persistent issues and not intermittent ones. This would be a small amount of stool sent to a lab where they would run a culture and determine what antibiotics would best treat her symptoms based on what bacteria were present. You may be able to skip this entirely with the addition of pre- and probiotics to her diet. This is a good example of one made into a treat: https://www.chewy.com/nutri-vet-pre-probiotics-dog-soft/dp/132164?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Nutri-Vet&utm_term=&gclid=CIWMrKaa688CFUpNfgodqPQFgg&gclsrc=aw.ds

If she has been on a heart worm prevention regimen and has still contracted parasites, she may need to switch the type of prevention she's on. A recheck fecal exam would be worthwhile every few weeks until she's negative and your vet is sure that she is not reinfecting herself with environmental exposure. It's imperative that all stool in the yard be picked up as its deposited to minimize her risk.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800