Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My puppy eats mushroom in my back yard. Just a small piece,

Customer Question

my puppy eats mushroom in my back yard. Just a small piece, so I throw out the over piece...
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Betty she eats all she can sniff out even sticks ect
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Betty?
Customer: She is part yorki, shitshoe
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me, so could you please answer the following :

1. How long ago did this happen { Minutes or hours ago } ?
2. Is Betty showing any adverse symptoms at present?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No adverse symptoms. But she also try's to eat Nuts from the trees and she likes to eat her poopie too.. Also.so far I have failed to potty train her (She's 4 months old and weighs 6-1/2 pounds )... You see when she's in the back yard with me. All she is doing is sniffing around for something to eat, and I can't watch her every sec. Also she's very hard to catch when I know that she has something that shouldn't be in in her mouth. The way she's going, she''ll end up poisoning herself..

Hello again

Hopefully this just a phase which Betty is going through but I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. This really a hard one for which there are no quick fixes, but many small mushrooms which you find in the garden are not toxic so the chances are this not too much of a problem. As for eating all the other stuff in the garden then this is often a passing phase which young pups go through and it should settle down when the dogs get older, but in the meantime a comfortable muzzle for her to wear when she is outside may help until she starts to settle down.

2. As far as eating the poop goes this is a nasty thing to do by human standards but dogs actually do this quite commonly. I used to have two collie cross mongrels myself which have since passed away, due to old age I hasten to add. One of them habitually ate faeces, not only her own but other dog's faeces as well. She was very healthy and as a vet's dog very well fed and looked after but she still did it, probably just because she liked to.

The scientific name for this condition is coprophagia by the way. There are a number of described reasons why your dog might do this and I will list them below :

A. As I said it can just be a habit and they do it for no other reason than they like doing so, very young dogs often quickly grow out of the habit by the way.

B. If they are on a high quality dog food which is rich in protein there may be undigested food in the faeces which is attractive to the dog. You see the dog cannot digest all of this type of food. The remedy is to put the dog on a lower plane of feeding { cheaper brand } .

C. This habit is more common in puppies or adolescent dogs and is often associated with dogs which are under stimulated or left alone for to long a period. It is also known to be more common in puppies that are left in cages for to long.

D. It has been said that eating their own faeces is common in dogs which are lacking nutrients in their diets but these days that is open to debate.

The above is the mental list I used when I talked to clients about this problem, the truth is we often never find out the real cause.

If it becomes a habit there are a number of things I advised clients to do, and some clients have reported success with these measures. :

A. There is a product made called For-Bid (available from your veterinarian or online or from better pet stores ) that you sprinkle on her food and it has been shown to have some success in stopping this behaviour. This sort of product make your dogs faeces more distasteful.

B. Another thing that you can try is Adolph's (and in this case the brand name seems to be important) meat tenderiser sprinkled on the food. Some owners have reported success with this method. This works like For-Bid.

C. Adding some pineapple juice to your dogs food that is said to help. Again this substance will make your dogs faeces more distasteful.

3. As far as house training goes if Betty is only four months of age then it is early days yet, here is a link to an accurate article which covers how this is best done : LINK

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Betty is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her behavioural issues ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?