Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Okay, our 9 month old boxer/lab mix ate what we assume to be

Customer Question

Okay, our 9 month old boxer/lab mix ate what we assume to be almost an entire bag of brown instant rice. We found some of it but, I'm worried that it's going to hurt her.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Previous hernia, she has a bad habit of chewing on things. She weighs 52 lbs No thank you.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me, so could you please answer the following :

1. How long ago did this occur, how many minutes or hours ago?

2. I am assuming this was uncooked rice?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm not sure. It is probably a couple hours ago. Between the time I left for work and my boyfriend got home. It was uncooked. Just one of those bags that come in like a pack of 4 and you put them in microwave and heat it in water.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. I would not worry about this too much, my experience with uncooked rice is that it just passes through the animal's digestive tract without too much of a problem, it does not seem to swell up inside them for example. Some dogs may perhaps get a mild transient bout of vomiting and / or diarrhoea but that's about it.

2. All you need do for present is observe your dog, but in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning instant rice incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.