Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

We were caulking our sidewalks and our dog got in contact

Customer Question

We were caulking our sidewalks and our dog got in contact with it on his fur.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Louis, he's a chocolate lab/retriever and about 3 1/2 years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Louis?
Customer: No, he's a lovable dog that I want to get cleaned up. He was shaved about a month ago, so his hair is short.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

The caulking and sealing compounds used in construction work are considered of low toxicity to dogs. As with ingesting anything unusual transient gastrointestinal distress in the form of inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea can arise but Louis wasn't intoxicated if he licked or ingested that product. Cleansing him of the compound can be a challenge. Detergents aren't reliably effective but you can see how heavy duty mineral oil (baby oil without the perfume) affects the compound. In many cases it becomes miscible with the oil and then can be wiped off with a towel.

Please note that mineral oil is not the same as mineral spirits (turpentine) which shouldn't be applied to a dog's skin. Caulk remover such as manufactured by 3M should be avoided as well. Here's what the MSDS sheet has to say about that product:

"24% of the mixture consists of ingredients of unknown acute oral toxicity. 24% of the mixture consists of ingredients of unknown acute dermal toxicity. 28% of the mixture consists of ingredients of unknown acute inhalation toxicity."

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you! ***** can't find unscented baby oil, do you think I could try vegetable oil?

You're quite welcome. You can find heavy duty mineral oil in your local pharmacy. It can be found in the laxative section! (Please note that other caulk removers such as Goof Off, Dap Caulk Be Gone, etc. also shouldn't be applied to the skin.) Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you very much!

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?