Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My dog just chewed up an ant bait, Her name is Gala, she's

Customer Question

Hi, my dog just chewed up an ant bait
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** 2yo (today), and weighs approx. 60#
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gala?
Customer: She didn't swallow any of the plastic, just mangled up the ant bait. It's a Raid ant bait, containing Avermectin B1 (0.01%)
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 month ago.

Hi jaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

For the most part these ant traps that are in plastic are not toxic to dogs. If the dog ingests large numbers of them, then there might be more cause to worry, but just one or two should not contain enough poison to do anything at all. However, if your dog ingests the plastic portion, it can cause an intestinal obstruction which can be deadly. You can read about these and they symptoms of them on this website.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastric-stomach-foreign-body-in-dogs/page1.aspx

You can read about insecticides used in roach and ant baits here:

http://www.vspn.org/Library/misc/VSPN_M01289.htm

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?