Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dog ate a rawhide yesterday and she threw up yesterday

Customer Question

my dog ate a rawhide yesterday and she threw up yesterday after eating dinner and seemed fine this morning, but she threw up again this evening (before dinner)
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: she has been pooping Piper, 15 weeks
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Piper
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Piper?
Customer: no I don't think so
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Any changes in her diet? new treats? human food?
2) Any blood in the vomit or stool?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no changes in her diet, no blood. just the rawhide.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hello?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
do I need to take her into the vet?

I would recommend it. The tarry appearance you're seeing may well be bloody stool and indicate that there is a medical problem that needs to be address. This is known as Melena in the medical field. More info here: http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/digestive/c_dg_melena

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no, you didn't help me at all
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
her stool is not tarry

I apologize, JACustomer. We occasionally have glitches on the site where an answer for one customer posts to an entirely different question. This has happened in your case.

If she has just had some vomiting, there's no need to go to the ER this evening. You can try some medication to calm her stomach. My preference for this is famotidine or regular Pepcid. This is given every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

You can also use a higher fiber diet for a few days to help move through any pieces of rawhide that may be irritating her GI tract. It's not uncommon for this to happen, in fact, so keep that in mind for the future. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

Again, I apologize for the confusion. It's rare that an answer posts to the wrong thread, but it does happen.

I'll be standing by if you have any other questions.

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion today?